Tuesday 18 March 2008

Historic milestone

I can feel the hand of history tapping me on the shoulder again.

MPs have debated, for the first time, a Legislative Competence Order - effectively a request from the Welsh Assembly Government to legislate in a particular area.

The National Assembly for Wales (Legislative Competence) (Education and Training) Order 2008 cleared the Sixth Delegated Legislation Committee with little fuss after 46 minutes of debate. You can read it here.

The Wales Office Minister Huw Irranca-Davies noted "this is an historic day and an historic moment". He was, as ever on message - so much so that a Tory MP pointed out that he was reading verbatim a speech made in the House of Lords by Baroness Morgan of Drefelin last week.

The LCO will now, in all probability, be nodded through the Commons chamber itself tonight before being rubber-stamped by the Queen via the Privy Council.

The Assembly should be able to use its new powers in this area from May.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David
I need to send you some sponsorship money where do I send it
VM

David Cornock said...

That's very kind of you, VM! You can donate online at www.justgiving.com/davidcornock with a card (you can stay anonymous on the website!) or send a cheque payable to NCH to me at the BBC, 4 Millbank, London SW1P 3JQ. Or I could send you a form to fill in to you. I've e-mailed you this info - e-mail me back with any queries.