Wednesday 11 July 2007

Eton trifles

Lord Glentoran is an old Etonian hereditary peer who admits he knows nothing about Welsh politics.

So who better for (old Etonian) David Cameron to appoint as an opposition spokesman on Wales in the House of Lords?

Lord Glentoran succeeds Lord Roberts of Conwy as the party's Welsh affairs spokesman.

"As far as the politics of Wales is concerned," he told reporters today, "as of 48 hours ago I knew absolutely nothing. I now know nothing, plus a bit."

He added: "I know nothing about the politics but I know quite a lot about the geography, having climbed most of the mountains."

He is also an Olympic champion, having won gold in the 1964 Winter Games. He came first in bobsleigh, but I'll resist the temptation to make any cracks about politicians knowing what it's like to go downhill fast.

No comments: