Wednesday 12 September 2007

My conference resolutions


It's that time of the year again when we hacks chase political anoraks around the seaside for three weeks in pursuit of news that is hopefully relevant to the audiences we serve.

My conference season begins later than my colleagues. As Basil Fawlty might put it, the particular avenue of pleasure of the Plaid Cymru conference in Llandudno has been closed off to me.

But Brighton - and the Lib Dems - beckons, so it's time for my own conference resolutions.

This year I'm hoping to avoid:

1. News items that begin"Delegates are gathering......"

2. The word "keynote" - now applied to almost any speech from an elected politician, usually by the person delivering it.

3. Strong drink

4. Interviews that begin: "So David, what's the mood of the delegates?"

5. Late nights

6. Mad delegates who are obsessed with the Barnett formula, Europe, proportional representation or all three.

1 comment:

Peter Black said...

"Mad delegates who are obsessed with the Barnett formula, Europe, proportional representation or all three."

You have no chance of avoiding these in Brighton.